Wow! This would have been a successful year for any team, but for a brand new race team, it was simply incredible. Our co-head coaches, Phil Nelson and Nick Reckinger made it possible to have effective practices weekdays and weekends as well as supporting our many races. A special thanks goes to the masters coaches who assisted them, Kyle Demerath, Catherine Egelhoff, and Gary Kosloski as well as the many parents who also assisted to ensure consistent coaching.
As a recap: Bay Nordic outfitted a team of 38 kids with Poles, Boots, Back-Country, Skating & Classic skis. A debt of gratitude goes to Deb and Mark Ernst at In Competition Sports for stretching what dollars we had and making sure we had enough equipment for everyone. It would be safe to say our team wouldn’t be what it is today without their generous help. (Side note from Ryan: This is the kind of community ownership that you’ll never get from shopping online. Shopping Local makes it possible!)
Here is a list of results:
- Boys MS- Won the Iola & Greenbush meets
- Hans Ernst took 3rd in the Aspirus Nordic Challenge middle school boys sprint race
- Boys MS won the relay and individual state sprint championships in team score
- Had the individual State MS Sprint Champion in Jack Jennings, followed by Hans Ernst in 2nd and Jackson Adler in 4th
- Two MS athletes, Hans Ernst and Kate Stump had top ten finishes in individual distance races at the State Championships
- Kate Stumpf took third in the Rhinelander classic middle school race
- Mei Fredeen won the Greenbush high school girls race
I’m sure I’ve missed a few there, but as you can see, it was an exciting year in racing!
The coaches are already planning for next year. Some of the improvements you can expect to see are several trainings this summer for both athletes and coaches, a push for race skis & more poles, more consistent strength training throughout the season, and a tiered coaching system split by abilities with skill requirements for athletes to move up to the next level coaching group.
Whether you are a master skier, parent or youth athlete who either loves racing or would like to try, we’d love to have you help our team grow. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll answer any questions you might have.