OUR YOUTH PROGRAM (2017-2018)
Our successful youth program is open to 3 to 12 year olds. This program introduces the youth to the joy of winter with Nordic skiing. Kids will meet for 6 Saturday sessions at the Reforestation Camp and will be split up into smaller groups according to their age and ability. Equipment is available for rental at an additional cost.
2017-18 Youth Program Schedule
10/15 – Online Registration Opens (Evening)
11/26 – Online Registration Closes
12/2 – Equipment Rental Pickup – Time and place will be confirmed and emailed later
12/16/2017 – Session 0 (Optional Dryland or skiing depending on snow)
1/6/2018 – Session 1
1/13/2018 – Session 2
1/20/2018 – Session 3
2/3/2018 – Session 4
2/10/2018 Session 5
2/17/2018 – Session 6
3/3/2017 – Stump Farm Race. Registration is included with program fees.
TBD – Rental Drop off/ Return – Time and place will be emailed nearer to the date
Youth Plus Program
Are your kids looking for a little more? This year we are going to be offering another option to the Bay Nordic community. We are looking to add an additional 4 sessions for some of the more advanced skiers. This will be open to kids that have had a minimum of 2 years of experience skiing and are looking to spend a little extra time on the snow. This program will be available at an additional small cost ($15.00) to families that are looking for a little more than the Youth program had to offer. Sessions will be held on Tuesday nights from 6:30 PM to 8 PM under the lights of the Reforestation Camp.
Youth Plus Program Dates
ONLINE REGISTRATION FOR 2017-18 SKI SEASON opens Oct. 15th 2017
Click here to register
The Youth Program is for designed for kids 3-12 Years Old. During the 2016-17 ski seasons we had over 100 kids participating in our program! What is Included?
- A total of six sessions (weather dependent!) are scheduled per ski season. All sessions are held during the weekend at the Brown County Reforestation Camp cross country or Neshota County Park ski trails. The sessions are scheduled for approximately 2 hours each.
- Skiers are divided into small groups with curriculum for each level that consists of ski games and drills that will allow the skier to progressively develop the skill sets necessary to enjoy skiing. Ski groups are taught by volunteer adults and older kids.
- Emphasis for beginners begins with the classic technique. Skating is offered for older (> 9 years old), experienced skiers as they progress with their skills.
- Cookies & Hot Chocolate provided by parent volunteers after each event!
- Each new member receives a Bay Nordic hat
- Our rental program for youths provides top equipment. Classic skis are “waxless” for ease of use. Skate-specific are also available through our rental program. Rental availability is on a first come basis based on receiving registration.
The Youth Program is for kids 3 to 12 Years Old. Parents are required to accompany all 3 and 4 year olds.
- Youth Program Coordinator – Nick Reckinger (reckingn
- Youth Coaches Coordinator – Tanya Sharp (Tanya_sharp@sbcglobal.net)
- General Info – email@example.com
Youth Program Location:
All events will be held at the Brown County Reforestation Camp (http://www.co.brown.wi.us).
- Reforestation Camp Address: 4418 Reforestation Road, Green Bay WI 54313
- Neshota Park Address: Park Road, 5757 Park Entrance Rd, Denmark, WI 54208
Youth Membership Fees:
- Membership is $35 per skier. Includes Bay Nordic hats for all first year members and our annual ski patch for all participant!
Membership does not include trail fees administered by the Brown County Parks Department. Kids 12 & Under do not require a trail pass. Family seasonal passes are available through Brown County.
Equipment rental is only available to members and for the entire ski season. We do not rent out equipment for daily usage or to non-members.
EQUIPMENT RENTAL PRIORITY WILL BE GIVEN TO MEMBERS AS THEY REGISTER. WE HAVE A FINITE NUMBER OF SKI PACKAGES AND SIZES. WE WILL PROVIDE NOTIFICATION ON OUR WEBSITE ONCE ALL EQUIPMENT IS GONE OR NOTIFY YOU IF WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE THE CORRECT SIZE.
The club offers both “Classic” and “Skate” ski packages to members for rental. The rental packages include skis, boots, and poles and are the top quality equipment available for kids. “Classic” skis are waxless design (grip wax is not applied to the kick zone) and built to provide easy kick and glide. All beginning and recreational skiers should be in the classic package. The “Skate” package is for older, experienced kids who prefer the skate technique.
Seasonal Rental Fee
- Classic Package $60 plus $30 refundable deposit.
- Skate Package $60 plus $30 refundable deposit.
Equipment Pick-Up & Drop off
see the schedule for details above
Coaching and Volunteers -We Need Your Time & Talent
All levels of Volunteers (no requirement for skiing experience) and Coaches are needed. This program cannot operate without all the support from the volunteers. We will need help with putting on equipment, bathroom breaks, warming hut chaperone, hot chocolate and cookies, etc. Building a supporting coaching program is key to sustaining the program for the future. Please consider coaching….each group includes one Head Coach and 2-3 Assistants. No experienced is needed to begin as an assistant coach.
- Head Coaches: Set curriculum and direct organization of groups at beginning. Communicate to Assistants. Recommend Providing & Communication Curriculum before Sessions.
- Assistant Head Coaches: Serve as head coach after group split.
- Assistants: Stay with groups and help out as needed. Assist head coaches in curriculum. Encourage kids.
- Floaters: Help out where needed! Pick up slower kids, bring kids to groups, warm hands, and help with equipment, bring kids back, etc.
Weather, Snow Conditions, and Cancellation Policy:
We will be following the general guidelines below when deciding whether to cancel due to cold weather. Ultimately it is up to the parents.
- <0 deg F pure temperature or with the wind chill we will cancel.
- 0 to 10 deg F, we will limit the session to approximately 1 hour (maybe shorter for the little ones depending on how they respond). We will keep the kids close to the lodge and have “floaters” take kids back to the lodge if needed.
- Road Conditions: sessions and practices will be cancelled if our coaches and leaders feel travel is unsafe.
Sessions will also be cancelled if Brown County has closed the trails due to lack of snow. The December event will be either on snow or “dryland” depending on conditions.
Make up dates are not scheduled in the event of cancellation.