OUR YOUTH PROGRAM (2018-2019)
Our successful youth program is open to 3 to 12 year olds. This program introduces the youth to the joy of winter with Nordic skiing, also known as Cross Country Skiing. Kids will meet for 6 to 7 Saturday or Sunday sessions at the Reforestation Camp and will be split up into smaller groups according to their age and ability. Rental equipment is available to participants in the program at an additional cost.
2018-19 Youth Program Schedule
10/15 – Online Registration Opens (Evening)
11/25 – Online Registration Closes
12/1 – Equipment Rental Pickup – 9am to 11am at InCompetition Sports (1660 W Mason St, Green Bay, WI 54303)
Saturday, 12/15/2018 – 10am to 12pm – Session 0 (Optional Dryland or skiing depending on snow)
Saturday, 1/5/2019 – 10am to 12pm – Session 1
Sunday, 1/13/2019 – 12pm to 2pm – Session 2
Sunday 1/20/2019 – 12pm to 2pm – Session 3 (changed from 1/19/2019)
Saturday, 2/2/2019 – 10am to 12pm – Session 4
Sunday, 2/10/2019 – 12pm to 2pm – Session 5
Saturday, 2/16/2019 – Time TBD – Session 6, Stump Farm Race. Registration is included with program fees.
Sunday, 3/10/2019 – Rental Drop off/ Return – 10am – 12pm at Reforestation Camp – Pines Building
*Schedule is subject to change
For the past two years we have offered an additional program for our Youth skiers that
are looking for a little more. The Youth Plus Program offered 4 weeknight session
“under the lights” and has been very beneficial to the kids involved.
As we prepare kids that are looking to transition to our middle school program we are
proposing to offer even more instructional opportunities and a few more race starts.
Welcome the Bay Nordic Youth Introduction to Racing Program. In addition to extra
time on skies we will be introducing the kids to “waxable” classic skis and roller skiing.
If you’re signed up for both the rental program and the Intro to Racing Program we will
provide one set of poles, one pair of boots, one pair of skate skis, and one pair of
waxable classic skis. If that’s not enough we will also be including some race entries
and providing race support for a number of local races including Snekkevik, Badger
State Games, Snow Cat Series, Junior Birkie (race entry fee not included), and the
Stump Farm Race.
This program will be available at an additional cost ($50.00) to families that are looking
for a little more than the Youth program has to offer. Sessions will be held on
Wednesday nights from 6 PM to 7:30 PM under the lights of the Reforestation Camp
and lead by a Level 100 US Ski Team Certified Coach.
Introduction to Racing Program Dates
ONLINE REGISTRATION FOR 2018-19 SKI SEASON opens Oct. 15th 2018.
The Youth Program is for designed for kids 3-12 Years Old. During the 2018-19 ski seasons we had over 100 kids participating in our program! What is Included?
- A total of six sessions (weather dependent!) are scheduled per ski season. All sessions are held during the weekend at the Brown County Reforestation Camp cross country or Neshota County Park ski trails. The sessions are scheduled for approximately 2 hours each.
- Skiers are divided into small groups with curriculum for each level that consists of ski games and drills that will allow the skier to progressively develop the skill sets necessary to enjoy skiing. Ski groups are taught by volunteer adults and junior skiers.
- Emphasis for beginners begins with the classic technique. Skating is offered for older (>~ 9 years old), experienced skiers as they progress with their skills.
- Cookies & Hot Chocolate provided by parent volunteers after each event!
- Each new member receives a Bay Nordic hat
- Our rental program for youths provides top equipment. Classic skis are “waxless” for ease of use. Skate-specific are also available through our rental program. Rental availability is on a first come basis based on receiving registration.
The Youth Program is for kids 3 to 12 Years Old. Parents are required to accompany all 3 and 4 year olds.
- Program Director/Head Coach – Nick Reckinger (baynordicyouth
- Team Manager – Jenny Kobylarczyk
- Youth Coaches Coordinator – Tanya Sharp
Youth Program Location:
All events will be held at the Brown County Reforestation Camp or Neshota Park (http://www.co.brown.wi.us).
- Reforestation Camp Address: 4418 Reforestation Road, Green Bay WI 54313
- Neshota Park Address: Park Road, 5757 Park Entrance Rd, Denmark, WI 54208
Youth Membership Fees:
- Membership is $50 per skier. Includes Bay Nordic hats for all first year members and our annual ski patch for all participant!
Membership does not include trail fees administered by the Brown County Parks Department. Kids 12 & Under do not require a trail pass. Family seasonal passes are available through Brown County.
Equipment rental is only available to members and for the entire ski season. We do not rent out equipment for daily usage or to non-members.
EQUIPMENT RENTAL PRIORITY WILL BE GIVEN TO MEMBERS AS THEY REGISTER. WE HAVE A FINITE NUMBER OF SKI PACKAGES AND SIZES. WE WILL PROVIDE NOTIFICATION ON OUR WEBSITE ONCE ALL EQUIPMENT IS GONE OR NOTIFY YOU IF WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE THE CORRECT SIZE.
The club offers both “Classic” and “Skate” ski packages to members for rental. The rental packages include skis, boots, and poles and are the top quality equipment available for kids. “Classic” skis are waxless design (grip wax is not applied to the kick zone) and built to provide easy kick and glide. All beginning and recreational skiers should be in the classic package. The “Skate” package is for older, experienced kids who prefer the skate technique.
Seasonal Rental Fee
- Classic Package $75 plus $30 refundable deposit.
- Skate Package $75 plus $30 refundable deposit.
Equipment Pick-Up & Drop off
see the schedule for details above
Coaching and Volunteers -We Need Your Time & Talent
All levels of Volunteers (no requirement for skiing experience) and Coaches are needed. This program cannot operate without all the support from the volunteers. We will need help with putting on equipment, bathroom breaks, warming hut chaperone, hot chocolate and cookies, etc. Building a supporting coaching program is key to sustaining the program for the future. Please consider coaching….each group includes one Head Coach and 2-3 Assistants. No experience is needed to begin as an assistant coach.
- Head Coaches: Set curriculum and direct organization of groups at beginning. Communicate to Assistants. Recommend Providing & Communication Curriculum before Sessions.
- Assistant Head Coaches: Serve as head coach after group split.
- Assistants: Stay with groups and help out as needed. Assist head coaches in curriculum. Encourage kids.
- Floaters: Help out where needed! Pick up slower kids, bring kids to groups, warm hands, and help with equipment, bring kids back, etc.
Weather, Snow Conditions, and Cancellation Policy:
We will be following the general guidelines below when deciding whether to cancel due to cold weather. Ultimately it is up to the parents.
- <0 deg F pure temperature or with the wind chill we will cancel.
- 0 to 10 deg F, we will limit the session to approximately 1 hour (maybe shorter for the little ones depending on how they respond). We will keep the kids close to the lodge and have “floaters” take kids back to the lodge if needed.
- Road Conditions: sessions and practices will be cancelled if our coaches and leaders feel travel is unsafe.
Sessions will also be cancelled if Brown County has closed the trails due to lack of snow. The December event will be either on snow or “dryland” depending on conditions.
Make up dates are not scheduled in the event of cancellation.