Bay Nordic operates as 501(c)3 organizing serving the Northeast Wisconsin ski community. We began in 2009 as a youth program and expanded in 2013 to build a program that brings together all the various ski groups in the area and helps expand skiing as an activity of choice for many new families! Our emphasis is the expansion of youth opportunities, family activities, and ensuring the long-term success of Nordic skiing in the region through community outreach and support of local trail systems.
Our programming includes:
- YOUTH PROGRAM for ages 3 to 12 – Our successful 3 to 12 year old youth program introduces kids to skiing. Kids meet for 6 sessions during the winter at the Brown County Reforestation Camp. Season equipment rental is available. Volunteer coaches always welcome! New in 2016-17 is the Youth Plus program, extra night skis under the lights.
- JUNIOR TEAM (MIDDLE SCHOOL & HIGH SCHOOL) –The BN Jr. Team is inclusive to skiers in the Northeast Wisconsin area. The team supports skiers at all levels, including those new to the sport. We can help with equipment and we provide coaching and regular practices during and fall and winter months plus attending state, regional, and national competitions throughout the season. We have an awesome group of fun and hard working kids and families!
- MASTERS – Support Northeastern Wisconsin Nordic Skiing through our adult membership! Opportunities for adults to learn-to-ski, train with other adults, social activities, and support the youth programming and trail systems.
- BIATHLON – Started in 2017-2018! Combining Nordic skiing (or dryland endurance events) and target shooting. Based at the Brown County rifle range with year-a-round practices and events.
- COMMUNITY OUTREACH – Focused on trail system support and development, fundraising, and wellness programs. Working to ensure long-term success of Nordic skiing and improve the skiing infrastructure in the area.
Bay Nordic’s Mission
Support the collective interests of the Northeast Wisconsin ski community by emphasizing an active life style for youth, families, and individuals through Nordic skiing within the community.
Board of Directors
- Dave Hess – President
- Jon Bartol– Vice-President
- Brian Knapp – Secretary
- Rob Page – Treasurer
- Mark Ernst – Director
- Kevin Fermanich – Director
- Katie Nimke – Director
- Aaron Popkey – Director
- Past Board Members – Deb Ernst, Jennifer Versch, Noel Versch, Paul Egelhoff, Catherine Egelhoff, Jennifer Kobylarczyk, Roberta Kozloski, Brian Gustin
Steering Committee Members
- Youth Group – Nick Reckinger
- Junior Team – Noel Versch – HS Head Coach, Dave Hess – MS Co-Head Coach, Phil Nelson – MS Co-Head Coach, Team Managers Sara Chambers & Julie Murphy, Mark Ernst.
- Masters Program – Steve Peplinski
- Biathlon Program – Brian Gustin